- 1⁄4 cup real butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4 tablespoons flour(fresh)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, separate eggs (reserve whites for meringue topping)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, prepared (baked and cooled)
- MERINGUE SEE RECIPE BELOW
- 3 large egg whites (reserved from pie filling recipe)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir brown sugar and butter in a saucepan until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cook 2-3 minutes longer on low-medium heat, and then remove from fire.
- Beat egg yolks.
- In separate large bowl, mix flour with 1/2 of milk, until smooth. Then add beaten egg yolks and salt and mix well. Blend remaining milk with this mixture.
- Add flour mixture to saucepan with sugar/butter mixture and cook on low/medium heat until thickened (anywhere from 30-45 minutes), stirring CONSTANTLY.
- Remove from heat and blend in vanilla extract. Stir CONSTANTLY until well blended and slightly warm and then pour into a prepared (baked) 9" pie crust.
- Top pie with meringue (recipe to follow).
- After meringue is spread on top, Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes, or until meringue is golden. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- MERINGUE: 3 egg whites (reserved from pie filling recipe), 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar, 6 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- With a mixer, beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff and glossy peaks form and all sugar is dissolved.
- Spread meringue over slightly warm filling, sealing to edge of crust. (Then bake and cool as directed above.).